About Me

My photo
Video Production major. From China. Have been in the U.S. for 4 years.

Friday, March 11, 2011

10A Freak factor

Freak Factor

This article is about the uniqueness of weakness and strength, and whether or not we should change our weakness. David Rendall, the author try to persuade reader to spend the time to build on the natural strength rather than waste time on change the weakness which it does not change anyway. Because no one is perfect, weakness is the point that make each individual different from others instead of strength. He discusses 9 points of whether or not change weakness and how weakness is unique. I think all of the suggestions are valid. I agree all of them. When I was in China, I could always see people criticized others on their weakness, sometimes even humiliate, especially parents to their children. I thought they just want their children to face their weakness and try to change it, so in the future, they won't get more painful from others like the bosses and colleagues. In the article, I learned that weakness is not a bad thing. As he said that is not our fault that we carry our weakness with us, because we can't choose our fate. Since that is part of us, as long as we don't try to worsen the weakness, that is a natural beauty of every individuals. However, instead of just let the weakness go, I suggest that we could improve some and watch out in case it get worse some day.

I will choose numbers 5, 6 and 7 to discuss deeper.

#5: Build on strength.

The whole article is to persuade people don't change weakness, but how we become more outstanding without changing the weakness? Build on strength!! That is what Rendall suggests. I think it is true, too. First, we have to find out and know what our strength is. The strength may occur by accident. If we try really hard to find the strength, we might lost what we got before and wasting more time. After find the strength, strengthen the strength!! (A lot strength.) For me, my weakness is lack interests in reading, but I will get information when I listen to an audio and watch a video. Because I want to work in television and film, but I did not know much artist since I don't watch too much, the only way I can know a artist better and remember them is to start watching movies and televisions. I found that really works for me. After I watch a movie, I will do some research on the actors and actress and the directors.


#6: You can’t do both.

“Do both” here means to change the weakness and build on strength at the same time. It is impossible!! That is why he said “you can’t.” The weakness and strength is relative and related, they exist together. As the example of Wal-mart and Target in the article, if we change the weakness, the strength will change relatively. If we try to do it together, we will lost more than just focusing on one. I think a lot of people can only focus on one thing at time. I could not think of a example for my creative process, but I can provide a example from my life experience. I came to the United States when I was 13 and half, and I always think that what will happen if I don’t come or come 3 years later. The strength of coming here early is learn English faster and be more independent on taking care of myself, but the weakness is I become more apart from people that still in my country or those who just come to the U.S. It does not matter if I agree or not on some of their perspective, sometime I feel like I am out of their conversations a lot of the time, and I have much less time be around with my family and friends. Now if I stayed in China or come 3 years later, the strength and weakness will be opposite. There is not much I can to get both strength.

#7: Find the Right Spot

This is absolutely true!!! The strength is more capable when it meet the right place. A guy who is good at designing, he won’t be as shinning on working in government as in a designing office. In this class we have video, audio, game, animation and management students. For example, for the project of music, audio people will know better than animation people. However, In the article, Rendall discussed that we should find a right spot for our weakness. I think this also will happen in accident. Like the example that states in the article, Rudolph the red-know Reindeer were discovered by Santa Clause in a normal day, the only difference is the day is a foggy Christmas day. I was always told that I should read more books other than watch television (back in China). However, after several years, my weakness of always watching television become a strength that would help me in my future career.

In creative process, the strength I found out is I can come up with tons of stuff if I have a base idea, and at the same time, my weakness is it take a lot of time to come up that idea. I think that because I am lack of knowledge of a lot stuff. That is why my father always tell me that I have to read literature and humanity based books!!

No comments:

Post a Comment