About Me

My photo
Video Production major. From China. Have been in the U.S. for 4 years.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Assignment 8B

I really like all heros and villain. I can't decide whether they are below me or above me because every one is creative. But!! I have to my homework!! So, here we go:





The first group I am going to critique is the hero and villain of Mike and Chad. Obviously I am going to talk about contrast in colors. They choose different hue: red vs. yellow/purple, and different color schemes: monochromatic vs. complementary. For the watermelon man (I don't know the name), because he is only in red hue (exclude the little green), the saturation is different in the face and the hand and the tone which differentiates the different part of the body. The brightness, here darkness fit the most, the darkness of the color the artist choose the black. This shows the character’s darkness inside his heart. Compare to the villain, hero that in yellow shows he is very energetic and willing to fight with darkness. the brightness on his body separates the face and create a 3D feel. The purple cloak provide information about the hero’s characteristics, and also contrasts with the villain. In affinity, they are all fruit (Obviously!!). Because the similar styles, they are in the same world. I think it is very creative that they choose the fruit rather than human being. Banana and watermelon are perfect for contrast of color. I wonder why don’t they choose apple. Maybe watermelon has seed that can be weapon? Mike and Chad have done very nice job!!






The one about lighting I choose Emily and Adam’s characters, because I think they, especially Emily, applies the light brilliantly just by color pencil. In the picture that Emily drew, the main light shows on the villain’s face, which drag audience’s attention to the character, which is the main purpose. She also provide actual light comes from the traffic lights and road lights. Even though there is a sharp light on the villain’s face, the shadows and darkness of the costume express she is antagonist, which is supposed be bad. For the hero, he doesn’t have a background, but he specified the shadow. I think those shadows are always ignored when we are drawing. He is very detailed on the shadow under the hair, under the cloak and on the ground. However, compared to the villain, this character has much less symbol and mood just look at the lighting. The mood is presented by the pose of this character, which shows him is an unhappy and mess guy. In addition, their styles are very different, or I can say the hero and villain have nothing in common. I think they should have something that is same to show they are in the same world. But!!! I love the drawings!!!

Sam and Colin's animation

Finally!!! Sam and Colin’s animations don’t contain a story like many people do, but I choose to critique theirs because this one is focus on movement. Because they want to contrast from each other, the hero moves straight while the villain moves irregularly. The hero walk straightly, fly straightly, and when he turns, he turns in 90 degree angle. In contrast, the villain moves unexpectedly, sometimes straight, sometimes around. When the hero get ready to fly, he squashes when he bend down and sketches when he is walking in the end of the animation. The villain, however, flies around instead of walking, his weight shows when he sees a target and try to speed up. In the animation, they don’t have overlapping movements, because the drawings are very simple. I think it is really hard to have overlapping movement. I have to be careful on two or more object moving. But!!!! This animation is very well done!!! ( I think I put this after every essay)

This is it for the animations and characters. I choose them not because they are below me, is because I have something to critique. Everyone has done FABULOUS job!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment